Saturday, January 15, 2011

Trier fun!

(Apologies for the late post... The assignments were kicking my butt!)

The home of the black gate (see previous blog post 02/01/2011). The oldest city in Germany. Absolutely freaking beautiful. Let’s start by me landing at the Frankfurt-Hahn Airport and being greeted by Frederik and Ryan. I couldn’t have been happier to see them. Germany was uber snowy and pretty. Obviously the Germans know how to handle snow unlike the Irish. Poor Irish people…

Anyway. So back to it being the oldest city in Germany. Every building has so much character.. Even the McDonald’s is housed in an old building! New Year’s Eve basically the whole city lights up with fireworks! I got to light my own as well... it was such a cool experience but now I see why it’s outlawed in the States. Especially with drunk stupid people around (anywhere)... It could get really ugly.

I know it's a terrible picture but my first firework lighting!

The best part of Trier? The people I was with! Sarma, Mila and I already mentioned the guys…
My girl Mila and of course Ryan being Ryan in the back :)

 Had some awesome sledding time with Ryan but I was quickly reminded of the age that I am because I was so afraid to go too fast. Haha. I did, however, have an interesting encounter with Sarma’s mother-in-law. So basically New Year’s Day, (of course everyone is all hung over and we didn’t even get up from bed until noon) Sarma, Mila, Ryan and I are eating “breakfast” and Sarma’s mother-in-law comes up and says, “You know Christine, if you’re leaving today, you better get ready now so you can catch the train. I will drive you.” I say, “Oh I thought we had agreed that I’d leave tomorrow?” To that she responds, “Oh well tomorrow is our last day…” I look to Sarma, who is stunned, and I say, “Right. Well I just need to throw everything together and I’ll be ready in 20 minutes.” So I run up the stairs and start rolling my clothes like crazy and making sure I have all my school stuff together. Everyone is still downstairs and after a bit Sarma, Ryan and Mila come up and they look like they’re in a trance. They can’t stop saying how sorry they are for how crazy she is and how they wish I could stay. Meanwhile I’m agreeing and still packing AND looking for a place to stay that night! Did I mention that I had nowhere to stay and no clue of how to get around? Meh. Oh but Ryan was so sweet he said, “Why can’t you stay? Everyone wants you to stay… No one wants her around. Why doesn’t she go?” What a sweetie! Anyway, the mother-in-law comes to collect me like 45 minutes later and starts to apologise and basically says because of her English, sometimes she doesn’t know what she’s saying, blah blah blah. So I end up staying the day but am SO uncomfortable. So on the second of the year, I made my way to Berlin. The train was super expensive but whatever. It was a really pretty ride anyway. Berlin post tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment