Monday, January 3, 2011

Airport/plane fun

I know this has been said over and over, since there have been a number of films that have come out around this subject, but airports/airplanes are super interesting places to people watch.  Yes in the arrivals gate, as Love Actually points out, about 99.9% of people are very happy to see whoever they wanted to see. For me that usually happens and I didn’t even realize how much I missed that person (whether I am the one arriving or receiving someone arriving). The percentage of people happy at the departures gate is almost the exact opposite. And the percentage drops exponentially if the flight is delayed. There are some people, like me, that LOVE flying and cannot get enough of it. Yes I am in a confined metal object hurtling through the air at a ridiculous speed but for me, usually at the end of that ride, there is an exciting adventure for me. And weirdly, I like airplanes. When I typed that just now I just got the image of a child playing with one of those Korea Air figurines… Hahhah weirdly it was a little boy. I don’t get claustrophobic BUT at the same time if there is someone hacking up a lung, that’s when I get antsy and grossed out. Those are the times where I wish I had disinfectant spray for around my head and hung there so that nothing could get in my breathing space. I know I’m a weirdo. By the way, this is how you correctly cough (the video is funny anyway):


Anyway, what spurred this blog was my recent trip from Dublin to Trier to Berlin. (Trier to Berlin was on the train and trains are fun too. Only because I’m almost always reminded of my high school choir trip to Japan where we rode the bullet train and everyone fell asleep except me so what else could I do besides take photos of everyone sleeping? Oh and that’s when my best guy friend spoiled the Harry Potter book where Sirius dies. Sorry if I spoiled it for you… hahaha). At the Dublin airport I of course was very excited and couldn’t help smiling like an idiot, but at the gate, and I don’t know if this is because of the airline I was going with, I’d say myself (the only single person) and maybe 2 other families were smiling. These two other families had small children who were extremely excited to go on an aeroplane. Which brings me to my first story. So I take a seat on the floor railing of the moving walkway because there weren’t any seats and a family was going to sit next to me. This little girl, who must’ve been no more than 2 years old, of course like any other child likes to hang on things so she promptly put her hands on the black railing and lifted her feet. This is where I should probably say again that it’s a moving walkway. Hahahaha you can imagine her surprise as well as her family’s. I couldn’t help but laugh because one minute I could see out of my peripheral vision that she was at least 4 feet away from me and in no more than 3 seconds, she was right next to me. It was SO cute. Then of course we’re all laughing but this encouraged her to try it again and again in addition to her older brother who was probably 3 or 4 to try it too. The other fun story was actually on the airplane while we were waiting to take off. I sat in the very last row in the aisle (praying that they’d open the back door as well when we landed in Frankfurt) and of course a American boy, about 11 or 12, was traveling with his family sat across the aisle from me but by the window and next to this old Irish couple. He promptly started talking about pretty much anything and everything. Mostly about horror films but of course he had to explain every single one and also each part that was his favorite, which happened to be really crucial to the movies. The Irish couple was so sweet and patient with him. As he was explaining one of the films his little sister, who was sitting in front of him, asked if it was a scary movie. He said yes and she immediately responded, “I’m going to watch Harry Potter for the rest of my life!” I agreed with her in my head. Haha.

I'll probably add more to this post after my Berlin airport stint. We'll see though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment