Sunday, May 22, 2011

England!

On Friday I got back from my short trip to England to visit a dear friend who just embarked on her trip to Vietnam for the summer to teach English. I left the day Queen Elizabeth II arrived in Ireland (Ole Lizzy and I agreed that we would switch places so I could keep an eye on things for her and she would do the same for me) and if you're wondering if one of the thousands of Gardai asked to open my suitcase on the street, the answer is yes. Undergarments and all were looked through in broad daylight on possibly the busiest street in Ireland. Doesn't help that of course the one Gardai that looked through my bag was very good looking. Anyway, onward and upward.

Sarah, my friend who is teaching in Vietnam, met me at Gatwick Airport and we had a good time just catching up on the train ride back to Burgess Hill. Weirdly, I felt that this town was very English. I don't know why. Maybe the very narrow roads that people drive on the left, the roundabouts every 30 feet or so, the really cute small cars, or the incredibly cute little houses... Above all else, it was probably the stares of what on earth is that Asian girl doing in Burgess Hill? Don't get me wrong, there are South Asian places to eat, and again possibly the best curry I've had is always in England, but really not a lot of East Asians. But getting stared at is something that I have gotten very used to after living in Ireland for the past eight months (I can't believe it's been that short. I feel like I've been here forever. Not a bad thing.) We went to a karaoke bar with one of her cousins that night and it was SO GOOD. I love watching people karaoke.

The next day we went to London. It was my second time going but I definitely was still the wide-eyed, super excited girl I was the first time. This time I did the Tower of London with Sarah and then she went to meet a family friend and it was off to Westminster Abbey for me! We got picked up in Burgess Hill by Sarah's other cousins and went out for a few drinks and Russian billiards! A game that I'm terrible at but it's so fun to play...
Tower of London



Baby and Dad armour

I have no idea just looked cool!
Definitely was not supposed to be taking photos inside

The grounds
The next day was Arundel Castle. But of course whose camera dies because they couldn't find the camera charger before leaving their flat in Dublin? So it was iPhone to the rescue. But still, I was kicking myself for not searching harder for my camera charger. The film, Young Victoria, was partially filmed at the castle and no wonder because it's absolutely beautiful! One of the things that I find absolutely fascinating is that people still live in these castles. Tower of London, Arundel, Buckingham (obviously) and others are being lived in by families today! Needless to say, I would like that life.

Part of the village and the Castle in the Sky

Part of the beautiful grouds

Dedication to some.... guy. 

I wish you could see how big these poppies were!

The keep

View from the keep
 Then for my final day in England, Sarah and I went for a quick visit to Brighton. I could definitely see myself living in Brighton. It's kind of young but a lot like San Francisco especially with the sea close by. We went to her favourite coffee joint which also had GREAT French toast. And lattes (whilst in England Sarah had me start watching Neighbours this Aussie soap and they pronounce latte "lahdday" .. I can't not say it like that now). And then we went for a stroll down to the (rocky) beach and had ice cream!
French toast with bacon and baked banana

Beautiful Brighton

I love Alice in Wonderland!
The next time I go to England will probably be with Meghan and we'll visit our friend "Bad News" Brian... that will be a completely different type of post. Haha. Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. The baby and dad armor made me giggle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. French toast with bacon! GROSS. Also Im so so jealous you got to visit spayne and England!

    ReplyDelete