Thursday, September 30, 2010

Class week one DUNZO!

First week of class come and gone and yes indeed I survived. It has been absolutely amazing weather here in Ireland. Nice and chilly, with the leaves falling... just like a real autumn. Definitely my kind of weather.

Ah but classes.... classes are SO GREAT! I mean there was so much information already but I can already feel like I'm going to learn so much about what I've been wanting to know for so long that it won't really feel like school. Well, I guess it helps that my classmates are pretty freaking cool too. Interestingly eight of us are from the US but out of those five are fresh out of undergrad. There's my flatmate and I and the last American is a woman who is taking a year off from medical school to do this program. She goes back in December to do part deux of her boards. She's my hero. Haha.

We have five Irish, two transplant Irish (one originally from Australia but has been living here for the past 12 years, Donna, you'll hear WAY more about her. She's one of my favorites and the other from Canada but here for the past 8 years), a guy from the Gaza Strip and 2 women from Africa. Isn't that such an amazing mix of people?! Oh and then we have 3 from the PhD program who take some of our classes. I've already learned so much about other cultures already. LOVE IT.

I do six hours of class for three days. Mondays it's health economics and financing and health policy and systems. The professors for those classes are SO intelligent but so funny and present the material so well. Tuesdays it's a seminar and then principles of social research. Wednesdays it's packed with determinants of health and then statistics in the afternoon. Thursdays and Fridays are study days... or blogging days. ahahah

So that's it! That's my life for the next 11 weeks. And then... who knows?! I'm still picking my research topic but I'm thinking that I may go back to Oaxaca if I do prenatal health or Africa if I do pediatric nutrition. Duno yet.... Anywho, I promise a more picture loaded post will come soon :) for now all you have are my small words :)

3 comments:

  1. amazing! so jealous of the classes!! <3 miss a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you a lot! Thanks for the vote of confidence for rock and roll. Totally surprised me but you'll be with me all the way! You're amazing! Keep up all of your hardwork. Your dreams are becoming reality faster than you think! Can't wait til you next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome! I knew you were going to have a blast the moment you got there... ;)

    ReplyDelete